The Cunning Lie of Procrastination

But I am afraid that as the serpent deceived Eve by his cunning, your thoughts will be led astray from a sincere and pure devotion to Christ.
For if someone comes and proclaims another Jesus than the one we proclaimed, or if you receive a different spirit from the one you received, or if you accept a different gospel from the one you accepted, you put up with it readily enough.
2 Corinthians 11:3-4

+++

Paul makes some things clear about the deception of Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden here: that the serpent used “cunning” (literally: duplicity) to lead her thoughts away from a sincere and pure devotion to God. Paul then goes on to explain that the Corinthian church has been open to new definitions of Christ and the gospel, rather than resting on what they have known to be true and experienced through Paul and the ministry of the apostles. So Paul is talking specifically about lies that lead our minds away from a singular devotion to Jesus and his gospel.

But a principle can be extracted here, and it is speaking into a certain area of my life - that my thoughts determine my devotion to Christ. My mind is so important. And the biggest weapons against my mind are distractions and lies; this is the cunning that Satan uses not just to lead me astray so I will do bad things and be a naughty person, it’s to get me to pull away from a dependence on God. This was Satan’s tactic with Adam and Eve. It was the same tactic he used against Jesus in the wilderness temptation. It’s the same tactic he uses with every Christian, and every person on the planet. It’s done in our thoughts.

I met with a friend and mentor today who really helped me to see how important it is to control the procrastinator in me. It’s not just a matter of recognizing that laziness and procrastination is bad, it’s understanding how this part of me will be destructive to my entire life (ministry, family, finances, joy, etc.) if I fail to understand that this is a part of me that Satan is happy to control because it’s so closely tied to how I depend on God.

I’ve got to be more than aware of this cunning plan. I’ve to be active in getting it under a control. It’s not just me. I suspect my entire generation has been so successfully lied to by Satan that procrastination is an acceptable way to live in our culture. So many of my generation lives by putting things off until the last minute and then cramming everything to get it done, and we still get rewarded for the results. For instance, I hardly ever studied for tests, but after one night of cramming, I would get good grades. Or, I would never wear my retainer until the night before my orthodontist appointment and he would say I was doing great. As long as we get the result we’re hoping for, we can put as little amount of effort and stress into it and we’ll be okay with it because we now have so much time for “other stuff.”

The problem with this is, God is a God of order and planning. From the beginning of creation we see that God’s answer to chaos is bringing order (separating darkness and light, dividing the skies and the waters, seasons and cycles, and then creating a steward to take care of it all in an orderly fashion). Also, now that I have more responsibilities in life, I’m starting to see that this lie that has dominated my life is one of the major blocks to me experiencing life to the fullest. I can only recognize this through the renewing of my mind by the Holy Spirit, and I can only change this by the same power. May Satan lose his grip on this area of my life, and may God be praised by a new life I live, and by not passing this off to my children.

0 comments:

Post a Comment