Be Still

Psalm 46:10
"Be still, and know that I am God. I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth!"

+++

I've heard the first sentence of this verse so many times, yet had no idea about the following sentence.
Too often, when I think of this verse, I think that the purpose of being still and knowing that he is God is so that he can speak to me and give me guidance and purpose to my life. Yet, it's clear that this verse is much more about God and his purpose than it is about me and my meditation.

God wants me to know my purpose, but even beyond that, he's reminding me through this poem that he alone will be exalted in all of the earth, and that's his will. That was his will before I was born. And if that's his will, part of my being still needs to understand that I will be used to that end, if I am still enough to hear it.
I think I tend to sit still, or go on quiet walks, or pray on my own, and expect God to just give me guidance for my personal life. But God has a global perspective in mind.

This is what makes "being still" different from something like Eastern meditation. When I used to meditate (influenced by Taoism, Buddhism, martial arts, and New Age thought), the purpose was always to understand my self in greater depth. It was to realize that I was somehow at the center of something. But being still has a different purpose: to know that God is at the center of all things, and that his ultimate purpose is to be exalted among every nation, to be exalted in all the earth.

So, it's not wrong to seek God's will for my life, but I need to make sure that my purpose is tied to God's great purpose of being exalted in the earth. If I can't do this, then in my stillness I have not known that he is God. If I can't do this, then in my stillness I have proven that in my own world, I am God.

When I am still because I need to slow down and refocus my life on the things that are important, do I realize that God is also saying, "I will be exalted in your life"? When I am still and thinking about God and the unique plan he has for me, do I realize that God is also saying, "my plan for you is to use you to exalt my name"?

Lord, help me to fix my thoughts on this higher perspective in my times of stillness. I thank you that you care for me on a deeply personal level, and that you are there for me in even the small things of life; but help me to keep at the forefront of my mind that your greatness, your glory, and your exaltation has always been your plan. May I be faithful in pursuing this and coming alongside your great purpose, rather than trying to craft my own purpose and asking for your blessing.










0 comments:

Post a Comment